[WF-Infra] Re: migrating worldforge from belegost to moria?

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Sun Jun 3 20:36:35 PDT 2001

> Okay, I'll check into it, though I'm quite partial to Perl.  ;-)

Let's say they are both really usefull, and that perl can be used in zope as
well as python.

> be investigating making this tool zope compatible.  If not, then I will
> upgrade WF's current news system with it first, and then the file upload
> tool.

I'm sure it could be possible to have a "bridge" between those systems. For
example, the perl script could "post" news to zope. A file upload mechanism
is built in zope, and you can even add a file by using ftp. I'm not sure if
it would be needed to rewrite something (seems like reinventing the wheel in
this particular case).

> It is sort of a "meta database".  That is, rather than hard coding an
> interface to a particular database table, it dynamically interfaces to
> tables, does automatic typechecking, and so forth, so that to create a
> new database table all you will need to do is lay out the HTML form and

Seems very interesting. The concept of metadabase is very interesting. Maybe
this approach is (a bit) similar to object oriented db's?

Anyway, could you tell me if the media ftp server will be the same box as
the zope server for the website? I ask this, because if the media repository
is on the same filesystem as the media ftp files, I could implement the file
upload system to send the file to the filesystem rather than doing it with
python ftplib.

Philippe