[WF-Infra] New website?

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Sun Jun 17 21:55:00 PDT 2001

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Philippe Jadin wrote:

> > It works on zope 2.3.2 and requires the python imaging library. FTP to it
> > currently is impossible and probably never will be possible. FTP is
> > designed for flat files and as such is really imcompatible with a doc of
> > this kind. Example let say you hae a document that has a textarea, a title
> > area, a file, an image, and sql db query etc when you ftp to it which
> > should it try and update? How should it to the updating? etc.
>
> Ftp is indeed too limitating. With xml-rpc or the new fat client,
> compounddocs would be a very robust solution.
>
> > The problem is dtml documents are not catalog aware. They have to be
> > manually indexed for searching which is 1 a pain. 2 a serious drain on the
>
> I wasn't aware of this.
>
> > What this leaves is that a set of site wide templates that can be
> > customized on a per object basis is required. CompoundDoc keeps it
> > templates site wide however the instance of the template is tied to that
> > object so it can be customized on a per object basis. The template is
> > merely the starting point.
>
> Per object customization is even better of course.
>
> Something else again [sorry to bother] : do you think it could be possible
> to have mysql installed on the zope server? Or at least have the mysqlda
> product installed. I have a mysql running somewhere, so for the tests the DA
> is more than enough.
>
> For the media repository, I won't go with the zodb approach, as Bryce said :
> "The relational db approach would have the admirable property of being more
> easily ported, as well as the preponderance of tools and experience with
> it.".
> I'll still use zope as the new website will make use of it, and because I
> begin to understand it enough to do this kind of work.
>
> Philippe

Both postgres and mysql are installed on moria however the adaters need
to be installed for zope and the databases need to be created also. I
would prefer the use of postgres over mysql because of row level locking
and transactions. It also tends to be a good bit more stable. I can
install both but I am not entirely sure what is required right now to
setup the databases. How are you planning to handle versions in the
relation database? With postgres zope will manage the transactions
automaticaly and cache the connections which makes things easier then it
normally would be.