[WF-Infra] Re: [WF-General] Calling All Servers

anubis  tonopah at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:11:24 PDT 2001

>From: austin at usf.teradyne.com (Tom Austin)
>To: general at mail.worldforge.org
>Subject: Re: [WF-General] Calling All Servers
>Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:44:31 -0700
>
>Is the compressed size? I have a dsl line now and could make it available
>for the release. I dont have a firewall yet so would have to set that up
>before publishing my systems address. I also know nothing about setting
>up my computer as an ftp server.
>
>~~

alriddoch has mentioned that the final media file may be a bit smaller, but
its going to be big regardless.  That won't change the space the ftp archive
takes much, but would lighten the bandwidth load.

If you have hardware to set up a firewall, I would encourage you to get that
up before drawing too much notice to yourself.  However, if you keep your
software updated with any security patches, and don't open up insecure
services (such as telnet) your system shouldn't be an easy target.  There
are a number of tools you can install as well, such as portsentry, that can
help you keep crackers at bay.

If you need a hand with the emirror software many of us are using to mirror
the ftp archive, drop in to irc or email me directly and I'll see if I can
offer a hand.  Another option is to use wget, which also has mirroring
options.

We should have some better numbers on what an acorn server demands soon, and
you can decide if its something you want to run.

Thanks for letting us hog your machine ;)

anubis