[WF-Infra] Website Help

Dan Tomalesky grim at xynesis.com
Wed Oct 10 15:57:40 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:38:39AM -0700, Michael Miyabara-McCaskey wrote:
> Standards are great, if they represent what is standard.  But the reality
> of the Internet we live is is...
>
> Internet Explorer 4.x, 5.x and Netscape 4.x
Yes, I'm the dirty minority.  But I'm loud and angry, doesn't that count for something? :-)

> The rest are cute, but not many people have them... In a IRC discussion
> with 'Kosh' last night, he said he should have browser detection working
> soon, which means we can do the right things no matter what browser shows
> up.
>
> Anyway, we do not need to worry about authoring in Netscape 4, because we
> can internally control that... But we CAN NOT afford to piss people off by
> telling them to come back when they upgrade their browser...
:-) Why not?  We are our own market share.  But I digress, I don't care really I just don't want to have big huge if-then-else nightmares in every page, likewise I don't want to have to write the same doc 50 times.  If zope can deal with the subtle differences and publish separate pages appropriately (kosh, is this the point of compound docs?)  then I'm happy with that.

> When we engage the general public, it can not be at a complexity level
> that says, figure out how to upgrade your computer before you find out
> what WorldForge is about.
I don't think we need to worry about this any time soon, but if you wanna take care of it now, go for it. :-)  Better sooner than later.

Dan

--
    Aliquid melius quam pessimum optimum non est