[WF-Infra] Website Help

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Wed Oct 10 17:23:33 PDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Michael Miyabara-McCaskey wrote:

> Standards are great, if they represent what is standard.  But the reality
> of the Internet we live is is...
>
> Internet Explorer 4.x, 5.x and Netscape 4.x
>
> The rest are cute, but not many people have them... In a IRC discussion
> with 'Kosh' last night, he said he should have browser detection working
> soon, which means we can do the right things no matter what browser shows
> up.

My problem with not adhering to standards is that even one mistake will
change the way it renders in the recent browsers. So if you make even one
mistake on a page you will change the way konqoueror, mozilla, and ie 6
render the page. This is why I insist on standard compliance since making
it work in the old browsers breaks the new browsers is subtle ways.

That is why overall the main page is targeted at xhtml 1.0 strict and
CSS1. The browser detection stuff should take care of the rest. However
links, lynx, opera, konqueror, mozilla, ie 5 or greater etc all with that
just fine. Not sure about ie 4 since I don't have those anywhere around.
Netscape 4.x actually does a pretty good job most of the time if you
actually know how the spec works. What is see is people mix spec and non
spec stuff and wonder why netscape is broken. Only when a page validates
with no errors and you are sure that what you told the computer is what it
thinks you told it can you be sure it is a netscape problem. I have
"fixed" problems in netscapes a lot of times just by fixing unrelated
issues and getting the whole page to validate.