[WF-Infra] Website Help

Philippe Jadin philippe at 123piano.com
Sun Oct 14 14:41:45 PDT 2001

Ian Monroe wrote:

> If you build your page to conform to W3C (like XHTML 1.0 or HTML
> 4) standards, then they generally work fairly well on all browsers in my
> experience. CSS is not always going to work like you intended on some
> older browsers, but that is OK because everything will still be usable and
> not just as pretty.
>
> JavaScript should be avoided, unless it is doing something very useful
> and not very complicated.
>
> Ian

After some more testings, I found that either xhtml strict or
transitional would be fine.

xhtml strict compliant layout :
http://moria.mit.edu:8080/wf/test/layout08.html
(gives only pure text in non css browsers)

html4.1 transitional compliant :
http://moria.mit.edu:8080/wf/test/layout05.html
(gives good results in most browsers)

In short : it's usable in both case, so the rule of "innovation" tells
me to go the xhtml way ;-)

Thanks for your comments !

Philippe