[WF-Infra] Infra Meeting: October

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Tue Oct 23 11:50:50 PDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Miguel [iso-8859-1] Guzm=E1n wrote:
> > #4 - Web Site Content Management.
>=20
>     My concern on this issue is about translations. I know that translati=
ons are
> not very important for most people in the project, but that is because mo=
st
> people are from US or know enough english to communicate. But this will r=
emain
> the same if there is never translations... no translations, so no non-eng=
lish
> speakers here, so no need for translations and so on...

FWIW, one of the upcoming important requirements I'm having levied on my
for Eidetic is to make it able to manage translations of some pages,
because OSDL also has a Japanese lab, and we want to be able to provide
translation of a large portion of the pages.  What I'm thinking is to
store all the files serverside as filename.en.tmpl, filename.jp.tmpl,
etc. and during page build, it will be possible to select which language
to build.  If it does not find a page by that particular language, it
will use the english version.

The idea is to have a machine there locally in the particular nation,
with a snapshot of the website, updated from the mother site
periodically; they'd check in modifications of language pages back to
the main site to keep everything centrally available.

Note that none of this has been actually implemented yet, and I'm very
open to suggestions, and *very* open to working with others on this.=20
I don't know if we would use Eidetic's content management here at
WorldForge, but I'm sure for things like the meeting tool, the Mason
entity tool, the users db, and on and on, we'd want to do this.

Bryce