[WF-Infra] System wide unique ID's proposal

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Sat Oct 27 19:43:42 PDT 2001

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Philippe Jadin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As we all noticed, broken links are a constant problem when refering to
> content on worldforge servers. Someone moved a page, an image has been
> renamed, the irc logs have moved to another server, ... (well it's a
> problem on every site of course)
>
> For example : what will happen when moria.mit.edu:8080/wf will become
> worldforge.org ? This will be a pure (I really mean "pure") mess ;-). Of
> course we can use relative links, but what happens when a page is moved,
> because it makes more sense?

None of the stuff I wrote will care in the slightest about that change
since you can grab objects and generate the urls from that so that
changing the server etc won't matter for example. <a href="<dtml-var
wf.index_html.absolute_url()">"><dtml-var
"wf.index_html.title_or_id()"></a> is a link that will not break no matter
how you change things around from the outside.

Actually under that way of doing things you could have the server known as
many different names and the link will never care since it assemlbes it
based on how your browser go to it. Zope is a database and as such it is
easy to query it go get the item you want without any need for absolute
urls in the more traditional sense and without breakage you see with
relative urls.