[WF-Infra] Re: [WF-General] System wide unique ID's proposal

Philippe Jadin philippe at 123piano.com
Sun Oct 28 18:10:51 PST 2001

> We had gone through this when we changed from altima.org to
> worldforge.org.  At that time we took care to make all the links
> relative.  It would surprise me greatly if this were a problem in the
> zope site.

I agree, server move is not a concern. Sometimes however, objects move
is a concern. For example media...

> Okay, this is getting *eerily* similar to how Eidetic manages articles.

I already noticed that there are a lot of similar features between any
web management tool we can imagine :)

> Articles in Eidetic are stored as flatfiles, but there is a 'metadata'
> entry in the database associated with them.  Each and every article
> receives a unique id number when it is added to the system.

Exactly like what we are trying to do with zope

> One of the pieces of the metadata is an "Article_type" field.  A
> separate table holds all of the various article types.  New types can be
> added dynamically.

The same here

> [Having the article "split" between database and file system feels kinda
> funky to me and I worry about its maintainability, but the amount of
> flexibility I gain is very cool, so I'm going to continue with this
> design.]

as allways I guess there are pro and cons. Filesystem access is nice. In
zope, without ftp, we'd loose a lot of the cool features.

> With Eidetic, you can either access through ID #'s or by a static URL or
> via a search on title...
>
> <Billy> Hey Joe, look at my new media!
> Joe does a search on "Billy", sorted by last modified date and sees.
> <Joe> Looks nice; I see you did a dragon yesterday, too!  Wow.

both are valuable I guess

> Well of course I think it's a great idea, because I implemented it this
> way in Eidetic already!  ;-)

Thanks !

The complete idea, btw, is to have those id's for every piece of content
(including irc, mails, nick's, RT,...), and have zope or something
cataloging this content so we would have a unified search interface.

Philippe