[WF-Infra] Re: [WF-General] Time to choose : RT vs Bugzilla

Tess Snider malkin at Radix.Net
Sat Oct 20 01:24:19 PDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Dan Tomalesky wrote:

> Second, to address the thoughts of allowing people to submit bugs anonymously.  I don't feel this is a good idea.  I'd rather treat RT like CVS is and force people to seek out an account.  The biggest reason for this is that newbies and end users will probably not understand the way the queues are laid out and more often than not will throw stuff in the wrong place.
>
> I have suggested that perhaps we eventually develop a zope object frontend to the RT cgis such that we can create custom bug reporting pages on the new site in the various appropriate sections.  this way people can submit bugs, but we decide where they end up in RT.

In a couple of places I've worked, we have made use of an intermediate
layer like this.  I *highly* recommend it.  You really don't want so many
repetitive, poorly written, and/or incorrectly classified items in your
request tracking system that the actual useful information is buried
beyond all recovery.

Tess