[WF-Infra] WorldForge website needs

Dan Tomalesky grim at xynesis.com
Tue Oct 30 11:49:53 PST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:16:28PM -0500, Jason Oppel wrote:
> I think the bottom line here is that when newbs browse the site they
> generally have a totally different agenda from old WF hands.  Trying to
> integrate these two needs into a one size fits all menu bar would be an
> enourmous mistake.  I'm afraid what we would end up with is a site that
> doesn't fit anyone's needs very well.
>
> I'd strongly encourage keeping the newb and developer areas seperated.  I
I still don't know why we just don't have customizable look and feel options for people.  I mean, many sites have this already, maybe its hard to implement, but we only have to do it once.

I mean, the default (not logged in) site we just have setup for noobs, and if people want a custom entrance into the site and such, then make them login and setup their own.  Maybe have a few default templates customized for developers or artists and such.  I don't think that this should be such a big deal.  and for anyone who says people shouldn't have to login for doing stuff, well, if they're editing anyways, they have to login.  I think its a copout to use that as an excuse.

Dan

--
    Aliquid melius quam pessimum optimum non est