[WF-Infra] Seperate Code Review List?

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Wed Oct 31 10:23:49 PST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, John R. Sheets wrote:
> Tim Ansell wrote:
>
> > Currently Code Review occurs on the WF-Server list. I would think it
> > would be better to give Code Reviewing it's own list, many people on the
> > Server list aren't interested in the Code review stuff but like to keep
> > up to date on other server discussions such as Architecture and stuff.
>
> This can be mostly fixed by establishing (and following!) an email subject
> convention for all code reviews.  Simply prefix all review content with
> "CODE REVIEW" followed by the name of the class or review target.
>
> Of course, code reviews generate a lot of volume, so they'll still have to
> download extra mail that they don't care about; but if that's a problem,
> they can just use the newsgroups, right?

> So, I vote to keep the current system, with a few minor policy tweaks.
>
> John

I agree with John.  The difficulty will be ensuring everyone follows the
subject line convention, but from what I've seen, there is enough
process at the creation of the review and people are good about
maintaining the subject line as originally specified, so I think this
should work.

"CODE REVIEW" is a good tag; I think even just "REVIEW" in all caps
would be enough to filter on, in case someone wished to do email reviews
of something other than code.

I know this is going to motivate people to have to figure out how to set
up procmail or another mail filter, which will be a pain for some, but
trust me, you'll be the better for it.  ;-)

How does this sit with everyone?